An unintended photography project, born out of the intended family time in Melbourne’s 6th lockdown.
With no more rainbows on the pavements, stuffed animals away from the windows and once vibrant spoonvilles turned sad ghost towns – everyone needed to figure out their own way to keep going. Small things. Small wins. Like making a space helmet for your child fascinated by the night sky. And a suit.
Too bad that the novelty of a costume doesn’t last. Stories however, seem to have worked since forever. So we took the costume and went looking for stories. The good thing is that stories can be found anywhere, be it 5km travel limit or your bedroom. The bus stop or a laundry.
These photographs are the memories from the stories we found. The lockdown has now ended. We’ll outgrow the costume. But the time spent together exploring and imagining is one special gift to keep.
Somehow The Rocketgirl Chronicles become known far beyond their original home in Australia and images of the little astronaut keep travelling all around the world, thanks to the overwhelming support of many people who connected with out little project. Thank you!
- Australian Photography Magazine Photographer of the Year, 2021 – Overall Winner, Portrait Winner
- Capture Magazine Australasia’s Top Emerging Photographer, 2022 – Portrait Winner, Overall Runner-up
- Fine Art Photo Awards, 2022 – Conceptual Winner
- International Photography Awards, 2022 – Analogue / Portrait Winner, Best of Show
- Tokyo International Foto Awards, 2022 – Fine Art Winner
- ND Awards, 2022 – Fine Art / Conceptual Winner
- Life Framer Award, Youthhood, 2022 – 2nd Prize
- Bluethumb Art Prize, 2021 – Photography Runner-up
- National Portrait Photographic Prize 2022 – Finalist
- Kuala Lumpur International Photographic Prize 2022 – Finalist
- HeadOn Photo Awards, 2022 – Finalist
- Bluethumb Art Prize, 2022 – Finalist
- Wyndham Art Prize, 2022 – Finalist
- IMA Next, Japan, 2022 – Finalist
- OptiKA Award, 2022 – Finalist
- 2022 National Photographic Portrait Prize (National Portrait Gallery of Australia)
- 2022 Photoville (New York, US)
- 2022 Head On Photo Festival (Sydney, Australia)
- 2022 Riaperture (Ferrara, Italy)
- 2022 IPA Best of Show (New York, US)
- 2022 KLPA Photographic Portrait Prize (GMBB, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)
- 2022 CCP Summer Salon (Centre for Contemporary Photography, Melbourne)
- 2022 Wyndham Art Prize (Wyndham Art Gallery, Melbourne)
- 2022 OptiKA Exhibition (Kingston Arts Centre, Melbourne)
- 2021 Ilford Salon (Centre for Contemporary Photography, Melbourne)